CITY OF OREGON, STATE OF OHIO

5330 Seaman Road Oregon, OH 43616          Clerk's Office 419-698-7010

Self-Help
Court Records
Jurors
Parties
Attorneys
Media

About the Court

History

Oregon was incorporated in 1958. A Mayor's Court was conducted on a regular basis until January 1, 1964.

The Oregon Municipal Court was established January 1, 1964 by the Ohio General Assembly and operates pursuant to the authority as set forth in Ohio Revised Code Section 1901. Council chambers in the old Oregon township hall served as the first courthouse. A new facility adjoining the police department was constructed in 1964. Court was conducted daily for 23 years at this facility. As the population increased, so did the volume of traffic, criminal and civil cases. To maintain the dignity and decorum of the Court and to provide adequate working space for an expanding staff, a new courthouse was necessary. After many years of planning, a new and modern courthouse was dedicated on May 29, 1987.

The Oregon Municipal Court Judge is elected on a nonpartisan ballot for a term of six years. The term commences on the first day of January after the election.

Judge Joseph L. Wetli was the first elected Judge of the Oregon Municipal Court in 1963 and served as Judge until 1981. When he retired, he was succeeded by Judge Donald Z. Petroff who served from 1981 until 2005, as the second Judge in Oregon. Jeffery B. Keller is currently the presiding Judge and the third elected Judge in Oregon.

Jurisdiction

The Oregon Municipal Court has jurisdiction within the municipal corporation of Oregon, Harbor View, and within Jerusalem Township, in Lucas County, and north within Maumee Bay and Lake Erie to the boundary line between Ohio and Michigan between the easterly boundary of the Court and the easterly boundary of the Toledo Municipal Court. The jurisdiction in Lake Erie extends from the Maumee Bay north to Canada, then east just past West Sister Island to the Ottawa County Line near Crane Creek State Park. Encompassing 60 square miles of land and 160 square statute miles of Lake Erie, makes it the second largest jurisdiction in Lucas County. The territorial population per the 2000 Federal Census is:

City of Oregon: 19,355
Jerusalem Township: 3,181
Harbor View: 99

Click any of the links below to access the Court’s departments directly.

Clerk’s Office

Bailiff Services

Civil Department

Criminal / Traffic

Probation

Electronic Monitoring